NOTE: Blimey! is no longer being updated. Please visit http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com for the latest updates about my comics work.

Thursday, November 21, 2013

Tom Paterson arrives in the Christmas Viz


Veteran humour artist Tom Paterson makes his very welcome first appearance to the pages of Viz in the Christmas issue that goes on sale today. 

Tom, a highly respected cartoonist who has worked in the comics industry for 40 years, is well known for his hilarious artwork on strips such as Sweeny Toddler for Whoopee! and Calamity James for The Beano. Now he's turned his hand to the adult comic market to produce Jasper the Gasper for Viz.


If the name sounds familiar it's because it's a spoof of the classic Ken Reid strip, Jasper the Grasper from Wham! But where Ken's character was a grasping Victorian miser, Tom's Jasper is gasping for a fag. Don't worry if you're not familiar with Ken Reid's 1965 strip; Tom's character is brilliant in its own right.

The excellent strip runs to two packed pages, with Tom using a similar style to that which he developed in the 1990s for Buster's Watford Gapp, King of the Rap.

The latest Viz also features many other strips by creators such as Paul Palmer, Davey Jones, Simon Thorp and myself. Out now. £3.20 with a free 2014 calendar. 

Cover by Simon Thorp

8 comments:

TwoHeadedBoy said...

Viz is the highlight of every month, and the Christmas issue's always worth ESPECIALLY looking forward to.

Seeing Tom in there today was a fantastic surprise! Wonder if he'll stick around and do some more stuff next year?

Lew Stringer said...

Hope so!

paul wilding said...

Always look forward to x-mas viz .On a side note Lew are you getting a ticket for Monty Python reunion? Don't normally go to such things but think I have to this time:)paul

Lew Stringer said...

No, after all these years I'm not that bothered about a reunion gig. I might watch it if it's televised. I still have to reacquaint myself with the original series. I bought the box set ages ago and still haven't watched it.

George Shiers said...

Amazing to see Tom back! I see it's in his Watford Gapp style - a strange style but good nonetheless.

ajsmith said...

I always thought the Watford Gap/Lucy Lastic style was very reminiscent of late-60s R.Crumb - anyone else see this?

Lew Stringer said...

I agree. I thought that too.

Kent said...

I was well chuffed to have my strip in the same issue as the mighty Tom Paterson. He's a childhood hero of mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...