NOTE: Blimey! is no longer being updated. Please visit http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com for the latest updates about my comics work.

Tuesday, September 27, 2016

The clothes maketh The Batman

Back in 1966, this ad appeared in Smash! comic for a Batman costume! Who could resist? After all, it was the year of Batmania and every kid wanted to be Batman, right? 

I was lucky enough to have one of those costumes for Christmas. Here's me wearing it in the following summer...

Yeah... not quite as authentic as one might have hoped is it? To be fair, there's a couple of items missing in the photo; it came with a plastic Batman mask which just featured the front of the face (like a Guy Fawkes mask) including the mouth and chin. It broke easily so I made a domino mask out of a bit of leather. It also had gloves. Well, just the cuffs to be more accurate, leaving the hands bare. 

At least the cape was the right colour but all in all it was clearly a million miles from being an accurate Batman costume, and even having BATMAN stamped on it in yellow paint couldn't hide that fact. I doubt it'd even be passed by DC's licensing department today, but you know what? I didn't care! I was seven years old and playing at being Batman, and that was all that mattered.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice outfit Lew, I vaguely remember my brother having a blue pvc cowl and cape combo a little later- long gone now though. Remember these battoys from the same period? http://cf.collectorsweekly.com/stories/DbSQEQNztNrLralu4fHUoA.jpg In my memory they were much better looking!

Ken said...

Remember jumping off the third stair to try and make my cape flap. Happy days!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...